Vacature: Head of the Department of Epidemiology
Deze vacature is aangedragen door het UMC Groningen.
As the Head of Department, you will be responsible for the Department of Epidemiology. You will lead research and teaching within the Department. The Department has around 28 FTE in academic staff, comprising 8 FTE in professors and associate professors, 8 FTE in assistant professors and lecturers, and around 12 FTE in postdocs.
Together with the manager of business operations, you will form the executive board of the Department.
The Department of Epidemiology within the UMCG
The overarching research theme at the UMCG is Healthy Ageing, in which priorities such as the prevention and (early) diagnosis of disease are central. The Department of Epidemiology plays a crucial role in this research theme, now and in the future. In addition, the Department is responsible for training epidemiologists and providing teaching on statistics and epidemiology for multiple degree programmes, including the Bachelor’s and Master’s programme in Medicine.
The Department of Epidemiology is a flourishing and internationally recognized department, in which epidemiologists, statisticians, and other researchers work together in close contact with the clinical departments at the UMCG. Research at the UMCG is characterized by a strong infrastructure, including data infrastructure, with a focus on clinical and population cohorts. The most distinguishing cohort is the unique, prospective population biobank Lifelines. A large amount of epidemiological and genetic data is available, to which additional molecular data and new outcome measures are increasingly becoming available. In addition, the UMCG strives towards making clinical data in electronic patient files available for research and analysing this data with the help of new statistical methods and artificial intelligence.
Staff at the Department of Epidemiology are currently organized in multiple units, each with their own theme. Under the current structure, the representatives of each unit are part of the Management Team (MT). The Head of Department is the chair of the Management Team. Together, the Head of Department and the manager of business operations form an executive board that is responsible for the Department’s tasks.
What we expect
The to-be-appointed professor:
- holds a PhD and is an internationally esteemed epidemiologist with an inspiring vision on the broad developments in epidemiology
- possesses demonstrable good management qualities; is empathetic, innovative, goal-oriented, decisive, inspirational, analytical, determined, and convincing; is strong in maintaining networks; and is a good team player
- can deploy unifying leadership to facilitate the various units and researchers within the Department to perform optimally through the perspective of one joint vision on the fields of epidemiology and statistics
- makes connections with the departments, including clinical departments, at the UMCG within and outside the cluster of Prevention, Public Health, and Primary Care, with the aim of collaboration in the broadest sense
- is in contact with the region, in particular to promote the quality of epidemiology and epidemiological research within the region
- is an excellent researcher with a significant number of international publications and a demonstrable ability to attract funding within epidemiology; possesses key contacts at a national and international level
- has expertise in the field of gathering, connecting, and analysing data from large intramural and extramural cohorts
- has an convincing vision on and experience with training epidemiologists and is able to stimulate the formation and implementation of this
- has experience in coordinating and providing teaching and is prepared to actively participate in the UMCG’s curricula, including that of the degree programme in Medicine
What we offer
- A challenging and dynamic position in an environment in which the boundaries of science are continually being expanded.
- Excellent terms of employment in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for University Medical Centers (CAO-UMC).
- A salary in accordance with scale 18 of the CAO, with a maximum of € 11,116 gross per month.
For more information, please contact the chair of the selection committee: Prof. Marian Joëls, Dean and member of the Board of Directors, email@example.com
How to apply
Please use the the digital application form – only these will be processed.
You can apply until 21 March 2022.
Within half an hour after sending the digital application form you will receive an email- confirmation with further information.
Datum plaatsing: 7 maart 2022