Vacancy: Postdoc research programme OPTIMA
This vacancy has been nominated by Erasmus MC.
The department of Urology has recently obtained a grant from the Innovative Medicines Initiative (IMI) – which is a joint undertaking of the European Union and the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) – for the launch of a public-private research programme called
(Optimal Treatment for Patients with Solid Tumours in Europe Through Artificial Intelligence).
OPTIMA’s goal is to design, develop and deliver the first interoperable, GDPR-compliant real-world oncology data and evidence generation platform in Europe, to potentially advance treatment for patients with solid tumours in prostate, breast and lung cancer.
To achieve this ambitious goal, OPTIMA has brought together 36 partners from across 13 countries to:
- Establish a secure, large-scale evidence data platform for prostate, breast and lung cancer that includes real-world data from more than 200 million people. With a focus on patient privacy, the platform will be GDPR-compliant. The interoperable platform will host datasets, data analysis tools, federated learning tools, AI algorithms and electronic decision support tools.
- Drive new knowledge generation by developing advanced analytics and AI models to identify, prioritise and fill the main knowledge gaps in prostate, breast and lung cancer – and propose improved clinical guideline recommendations.
- Develop AI-based decision support tools that can be employed in electronic health records (EHRs). These tools will help clinicians make care decisions based on the leading clinical practice guidelines for prostate, breast and lung cancer.
These new tools and models could allow for the processing of high-dimensional data across sources and the use of deep learning to identify factors that enable individualised, real-time care decisions – ultimately informing personalised treatment for patients with solid tumours.
Besides deputy academic principal investigator of the OPTIMA-project, Prof.. Roobol is also work package lead. The postdoc will, under supervision of Prof.. Roobol, lead the work package which is responsible for developing the clinical basis of the guideline-based decision support tool. This implies, amongst others, identification of typical cancer cases and guidelines through consensus meetings with all relevant stakeholders.
One in three people will contract some form of cancer at some point in their lives. A cancer diagnosis can lead to a lot of fear and uncertainty. Patients long for just one thing: surviving. At
Erasmus MC Cancer Institute
we work intensively with our patients to fight cancer. Working together, we search for cures to tomorrow’s diseases today.
Qualifications and skills
- You hold a PhD, are a team player and have experience in working in an international, multi-disciplinary setting.
- Your communication skills must be excellent and knowledge of consensus meetings and Delphi procedures is an advantage.
- Considering the organizational aspect of the position you must be interested in project management and have good social abilities. F
- Your are accurate, enterprising and persevering.
- Knowledge in the field of cancer research is necessary.
Before you apply please check our
conditions for employment
Terms of employment
- We offer a temporary position for 2 years (32 hours a week).
- The gross monthly salary amounts a maximum of € 5.383,- (scale 11), depending on your level of education and relevant experience and based on a full-time working week of 36 hours.
- Excellent fringe benefits, such as a 13th month that is already paid out in November and an individual travel expense package.
- Pension insurance with ABP. We take care of approximately 2/3 of the monthly contribution.
- Special benefits, such as an incompany physiotherapist and bicycle repairer. And there is also a gym where you can work on your fitness after work.
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Medical Centers (CAO UMC).
Information and application
For more information about this position, please contact Prof.dr. Monique J. Roobol, phone number: +31 10 703 3271 or e-mail:
For queries regarding your application, please contact Alexandra Goud, Recruiter, by phone number: +31 (0)6 256 796 67.
If you are excited by the thought of this position and would like to apply, please do so
by using the application form on our website
No agencies please.
Date of entry: 19 November 2021